Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Diaries of a Naughty Dog

In order to fully appreciate this story, you need to know that when I adopted Dudley, he fit in my sister's nursing scrub pocket and laid the cutest little tootsie rolls you've ever seen in my yard.  His mother was a shitzu, and supposedly his father is a lhasa apso.  We now have a 38 pound "lhasa shit".
Dudley has quite a few endearing qualities, but a few not so much....he's a thief, a food thief.
Before my husband and I married three years ago, my sister was practicing making our cake.  She had a beautiful and very tasty creation setting on the table awaiting our taste test, but Dudley beat us to it.  She walked in as Dudley was gulping a mouthful down.  His beard and mustache gave away the fact that he was the culprit.  The frosting covered fiend took one more bite and then ran as she stood by in disbelief.
On his next food stealing shenanigan, he decided he better include a main course before the dessert.  We were dog sitting, and the dog took off right as I set dinner on the table.  We quickly took off in search of the missing dog leaving Dudley inside with our steak dinners and chocolate covered strawberries.  Upon our arrival home, my steak and chocolate were gone.  I was left with rice and slobber coved strawberries.  Not being quite so brave as to touch my husband's meal, he just took mine.
You'd think I'd have learned and not left food on the table any more, but no I just thought it was if I left in on the edge.  My mother-in-law make to-die-for apple pies from scratch and brought one over right after we had our daughter.  We'd eaten most of it, but the two pieces that were left I saved for breakfast (yes, I know the breakfast of champions).  Thinking it would be safe in the very middle of the table where there was no way Dudley could reach,  I left the pie.  The next morning salivating in anticipation of my pie, I grabbed a fork and went to dig in.  What I saw, made me shriek and bring Brian running.  There was no pie, not even a crumb.  I could have returned the dish right then and there; it was spotless.  He had jumped up onto the table and stolen my pie.
I am getting smarter.....slowly but surely.  Tonight after I finished  wrapping up the leftover poppyseed bread, I noticed Dudley eyeing how close it was to the edge of the counter, planning his late night strike. He face fell a mile as I shoved it much further back.  He'll have to hope my guard is down some other night.

No comments:

Post a Comment