Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Rattlesnake Coffee

"mmm...that's some rattlesnake jumpin' coffee this morning."  I thought as I sipped my morning brew.
Anytime we get our coffee stronger than normal, we now refer to it as rattlesnake coffee and warmly remember the story of how it got it's name.
Brian's friend stopped for the night on his way to Colorado and kindly made coffee for us in the morning.  Despite being a city-boy, he like his coffee strong enough to stand a spoon in.  I proceeded to drink my normal two cups, and by the time he hit the road, I was more jittery than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.  
Brian suggested we walk off some of my energy through our newly planted tree row to see how if all the little cedars and oaks were making it.  As we got to the end of the tree row, we were discussing all our future plans, going over our plans for the day, and I was NOT paying an ounce of attention to where I was stepping in my pink flip flops (I hate real shoes but have realized the perks of wearing them on strolls through grassy areas).  As I put my foot down, a giant rattlesnake slithered out, coiled up, and started rattling his warning. With the caffeine coursing through my veins and the shot of adrenaline, I moved faster than I had ever moved before and faster than I probably ever will again.  As I climbed my husbands back at the speed of light, he tried figuring out what was going on as he made every attempt not to fall.  When he saw the problem seconds later, he convinced me to release my death grip and get down off his back so we could back out of range of the the rattlesnake's strike.  By the time we got the gun, the snake was gone, but I learned several very important lessons that day.  Always wear real shoes when walking through tall grass, carry a pistol when walking through tall grass on warm days, and give my husband warning to brace before I scramble up his back so that we don't both end up in a pile on top of the snake.

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps only carry the pistol when you haven't had so much coffee :)

    ReplyDelete