Monday, June 6, 2011

Welcome home, honey!

After being gone for two days, my husband left the field early and came tearing into the driveway to see his family.  He was greeted by me standing on the porch holding a 38 special revolver pointed at the driveway.  Of course I wasn't aiming for him, but he later informed me it had crossed his mind that he'd left the toilet seat up one time too many.
My house dog moments before had alerted me that something was amiss, and when I checked on him, I found him barking at a rattlesnake not ten feet from our main entrance.  I HATE rattlesnakes....HATE them.  While I realize some people like them, I have nothing nice to say about them.  When your husband comes in and tells you he's killed six that day, when you have two within six months of each other outside your door, and when you've had two dogs bitten (tomorrow I'll write about Daisy's very bad, awful week), you just want every last one of them DEAD.
After Dudley's warning, I grabbed my pistol loaded with snake shot and had moments before my husband's arrival, finished offing the the little booger. I realize it would seem a little more practical to use a shovel. In fact, my father-in-law has used a wrench, and my husband once used a tire iron (I'm hoping more sanity trickles down to our children).  Unfortunately, my husband informed how far a rattlesnake could spring, and now I'm very happy standing a good distance away shooting.  Whatever the cost per shell, it is well worth the price.
Nothing says welcome home, honey better than a freshly fired 38 and a dead rattlesnake!

1 comment:

  1. We got the biggest kick out of Brian's toilet seat thought...guess he will never do that again since he knows you are such a good shot:)

    ReplyDelete