Thursday, August 4, 2011

Blubbering at Speech

With Down syndrome, there is a wide variance in how well the children communicate.  I am no expert, but I've heard people with Down syndrome be able to barely get out a word or two to communicate a thought to the Glee star Lauren Potter who has Down syndrome.  She stars in the show, and I've heard her do interview.  It is a huge concern of mine that our daughter be able to communicate.
We have been very blessed that G doesn't have major motor development delays, but she is behind on beginning speech.  She is not making baby babble or some of the vowel sounds that babies her age should be so I called the speech therapist I work with through the school system.  She is an amazing lady and does great work with the little kiddos in our district.  She had us come in so she could watch G and give me some pointers.
I've sat through oodles of IEP (individualized educations plan) meeting listening to how to help other children, but it's scary when it's your own child who's behind.  We were all sitting on the floor of speech therapist's office playing, getting pointers for helping develop G's speech when I suddenly burst into waterworks.  Most of the time I accept the fact that our daughter has Ds just fine, but sometimes it sneaks up on me.  I can start up some tears like you've never seen, and once I get started, it's pretty hard to get the leaky faucet stopped.  I'm sure the speech team was ready to have me evaluated....

1 comment:

  1. Do you guys do oral motor therapy with G? It will help her be able to speak clearly VERY well :).

    ReplyDelete