Friday, July 8, 2011

Love It, Hate It

Harvest.....love it, hate it.
It's a beautiful time of year.  The wheat is that perfect golden color only wheat can be; it waves and rustles in the wind.  It is amazing to watch the beauty of a ripe wheat field.  It's also amazing to watch the harvesters run massive combines through a field, fill their bins with the tiny kernels, and then dump into a semi to be hauled to town.  I love watching the crop come full circle.  I watch as it's planted in the fall, sprouts up green and soft in the spring, and ripens to amber waves rolling across the prairie by midsummer.
I hate the allergies that come with harvest.  I sneeze, itch, and swell.  I can't ride on the combine without getting hives.  It's really lovely for a rancher's wife to be allergic to what he farms.  It's also very irritating to try to drive anywhere.  Farm machinery does not move quickly and when every farmer in the county has several combines, grain carts, tractors, and support vehicles going field to field, driving down a country road (and sometimes highway) becomes very SLOOOOOOW.
Harvest is over within a couple of weeks so what I hate I only have to endure for a short time, and what I love isn't around long enough to get old, and I get to look forward to it the next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment